Hello human followers. It’s that time again — time for puppies and human children to return to obedience school. Even though I don’t go to school anymore myself, I still love back-to-school time. I can hardly wait to sit at my front window and watch the kids getting on and off the bus. It is a great way to keep track of the latest fashion trends. Now I know what you may be thinking. Why are you talking about fashion trends on a school uniform blog site? Simple. Just because you wear a uniform doesn’t mean you cannot personalize your look and take advantage of some of the season’s coolest trends. The following are five of my favorites.
1. Bright Colored Accessories. I can’t help but drool a little over this trend (that’s doggie speak for “I really, really, love it”). You all know how much I love accessories. Well, I love bright colored accessories even more (did you novice my bedazzled bright pink leash). And what a great way to personalize your school uniform. Of course, the obvious choice might be a bright purse, hair bow or piece of jewelry, but why stop there? Why not choose bright colored school gear such as pencils, notebooks and lunch boxes. If hot pink pencils don’t make you want to do your math homework, I don’t know what will.
2. Layered Accessories and Chunky Jewelry. I am going to stay on the topic of accessories for just a little longer. Another great trend this season is layering jewelry such as necklaces and bracelets to make a bigger impact. If you don’t want to wear lots of jewelry, then select pieces that are large and chunky. You will get the same effect. Like my friend Bull, the mastiff always says, “Go big or go home!” I wonder if I can layer my doggie collars somehow…
3. Short Hairstyles. As most of you know, I am a long-haired Chihuahua. I of all dogs appreciate how beautiful long hair can be. That being said, I still love the fact that short hairstyles seem to be making a comeback. If you are looking to make a big statement for the new school year, you need look no further than the hairs on your head. A classic bob never goes out of style or, if you are really daring, why not try a pixie cut. Either way, a great haircut will turn heads.
4. Cardigans and Layering. This trend is perfect for you Parker families. It may be hard to believe right now in the middle of August, but there will come a time when you want to throw on another layer or two. If you do, reach for a great cardigan. Better yet, reach for a great Parker cardigan. Parker offers both crew neck and v-neck cardigans in their new unbelievably soft acrylic. It really does feel like cotton. And boys, Parker has a great v-neck sweater vest that would be perfect over one of Parker’s oxfords. Now that’s layering done right.
5. Knee High Socks. Everything old is new again. There are many retro trends this year and this is one of my favorites. If your school dress code allows it, you could always be extra trendy by choosing knee high socks in bright colors. (I realize these examples are not school uniform approved but I couldn’t help but love the paw prints on them.) If not, Parker offers a great selection of knee high socks in lots of school uniform colors. And, they have just introduced their new Parker socks that are super comfy and come with a great Comfort Toe technology. It makes me wish I could wear socks.
Before I go, I feel as though I should touch on one other trend for the fall that is my absolute favorite – faux fur. I am seeing faux fur on vests, jackets, collars, you name it. Now as far as I know, faux fur is not included in anyone’s school uniform program. And I get that. I know it would be an unusual choice. But, my beautiful fur coat has served me well my entire 3 years. Maybe Parker might consider introducing a faux fur vest for next season. I will talk to my owner and see if I can’t pull some strings. Until next time. Zoe, the dog.